Monday, December 21, 2009

Homemade bookmark

Preferably all my presents are DIY for Christmas, but sometimes that is impossible, you know that! That is why I mostly sneak in some kind of little "something" among the rest of the presents...
This bookmark is not a Christmas present, but part of my father's name-day present. Now that might sound a little strange for most of you so let me explain it briefly. What is a name-day? It is kind of like a birthday and in many families this bares even less importance than the name-day since everyone is aware of the latter, for it is listed in the calendar. My name-day for example is on the 18th of May. Always. It might happen that one name is listed twice but than each person can decide which one fits their lives better. Or whatever, just choose one! :)
So here is what used to make the bookmark (a piece of cardboard paper, glue, ribbon, a bead and 3 different kinds of paper -brown, white and pale purple)So than I glued things together but I guess that is obvious from the next pictures and than I made a simple sketch of praying hands (in case someone was wondering what that scratch stands for, heehee) and wrote (translate) "May your day be merry, dad". I thought that was light, cute and meaningful (trough the drawing) in the same time...(sorry, it is a little blurry but I had to zoom in...a lot)
Hope you enjoyed. Bisous,
Erika
Linked up to:

Making

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So personal and special! Wonderful gifts!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely handmade gift, I love that it incorporates your beautiful sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love that it is a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas! Thanks for linking to Poppies@Play@

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and have a fun filled New Year's Eve! Wishing you much success and happiness in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika! What a lovely bookmark, how did your Dad like it? Here in Mexico my family also celebrates name-days, but it isn't as usual in other families. I read that your dream is to some day open a store with beautiful recycled items and design stuff, I love that too!!!! I'm very pleased to meet you. Thanks for stopping by at Casa Haus the other day!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!