Friday, March 11, 2011

Made in... or made by?

I had a very awkward incident at one of these spring fairs I participated at.
A girl, who was also a seller at the fair by-the-way, came to me looked around, complemented my things and then asked "Are these things imported?"! (hear the violent drums as background music)
My jaw fell and for a moment I was not even sure whether she was joking or not, but I thought she must be, yet when I looked at her I saw she was really seriously inquiring... And though I felt like laughing my heart out, I just smiled and said, no, of course not, I made them with my tinny-winny hands...and then smiled some more and kept telling my mind shut up you will not be rude!

Not to mention that the fair was all about handmade items, so how could I have sold some things bought from who-knows-where?
Anyway...

Despite someone telling me -when sharing this story- that she might have been inspired by herself when asking that question, I gave it some thought and ended up at (trying to see this in) a different perspective or rather from the other angle. I mean, I practically grew up surrounded by ceramics... A different approach of it than the one I have, yes, but it was still ceramics. Loads of it in all possible ways. So for me the identification of different materials, styles or processes is as natural as it gets.
But, say I had never even seen a tableware at a different stage than out of the warehouse, sitting elegantly on the dinning room table...how could I even imagine what it's made of, through what process and where could it come from, right? I would probably have no idea... (yet, I'd never be so insensitive as to cast stones on anyone with my tone, but hey...)

So due to this incident and the many how/where questions I received from curious and sweet friends and clients, I decided to show you a few pictures of the process. Please note that this is a very brief and inconsistent description, having the purpose to sort out some misunderstandings and make the ones who are curious even more so! :)

Here you can clearly see the upper part of the gorgeous little milk-cup, for your morning coffee, glancing from a mould made of gypsum.

And here many of them, freshly taken out, decorated with daisies.

After doing this they need to fully dry, then they need to be cleaned with a tiny knife from the extra lines left by the moulds. And then the are put in the oven (a special one with very high voltage). The first time they become more stiff and resistant, but then they need to be glazed to be ready for usage. Right after glazing they are again put into the oven, and when taken out they already have that gorgeous shine that you all love about my displays :). After this, if I find it necessary I use gold or other colors to decorate them, and if it is the case transfer pictures as well. And again, they have to be fired/burned once again!

The special oven which is nothing like the one you bake muffins in, now, is it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here you will see the brief version of how my kitty plate is made.

First, I pour the paste into the mould.

Then, when it becomes solid, I take the top of the mould off.

And try to separate the plate from the mould so to turn it to the right side.

Lookin' pretty good :) then I clean it with a light sponge to make it look impeccable for the decorations...
This kitty it made pretty much the same way ast the plate. Then I glue it to the plate (and when I say glue, I mean solid and dried out ceramic waste mixed with the right amount of water), hand-shape some flowers or who-knows-what and then as I explained above, I put it into the oven etc, etc, etc :)


I hope I cleared all the mysteries regarding ceramics...MY ceramics, made BY me in a workshop belonging to MY family. This sentence sounds awfully possessive ;) But just so you know, it was intentional! :))
And now, since I have been working all day long on MY ceramics in our workshop, I will discretely leave you with these thoughts and sleep some! No, but seriously, I am working on two separate collections in the same time, already cherishing and developing a new one in my head, enjoying and living it as I love to, so stay tuned because you will get to see many brand new creations soon!

Yours,
the sleepy E.

ps. this post made me seriously consider developing and strictly using a Jasmin Blanc Boutique label-stamp on MY things...It would once and for all settle these kinds of uncomfortable situations.

6 comments:

  1. oh, I thought you had a magic wand :-<

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one truly talented and creative lady. I'm just amazed at what you've created!! Keep up the good work :)
    I'm a new follower and can not wait to see more of your stuff :)
    hugs
    Manni
    www.ibakecakes-manni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok,e revoltator,dar se mai intampla...:(
    Ca vezi tu,unii se prezinta la targuri de handmade cu,chinezerii...:) si oamenii oricum inca nu prea fac diferenta,din pacate,nu e raspandit asa tare handmade-ul la noi in tara...

    Ps:Daaaaa,abia astept sa vad ce noutati faci,si referitor la stampilaaaaa,DAAAA!Fa-o!:):)Te puup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scuze ca scriu comentariul in romana, simt ca e mai clar ce vreau sa zic.
    Ar trebui sa vezi comentariul respectiv ca pe un compliment. Lucrurile facute de tine sunt impecabile si par aduse dintr-o alta lume. Doar ca tu esti elementul de legatura dintre lumea magica, delicata si gingasa din care aduci la viata si expui in fata noastra aceste lucruri minunate.
    Remarca aceea cred ca a fost din partea unei persoane care nu-ti cunoaste munca si nu te urmareste.
    O seara linistita si o saptamana minunata iti doresc!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  5. how lovely, I'm glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Erika!! totul este absolut magic! imi place munca ta si toate creatiile tale! ba mai mult, le iubesc! cred ca atunci cand ajungi in atelierul tau (si al tatalui tau) te desprinzi total de lume si intrii in magica lume a creatiei si a frumosului! Bravo Bravo! esti unica!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!