Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Tea rose" brooch tutorial- Free crochet pattern


Once fall is here I am so much more motivated to pick up a ball of yarn in one hand, a crochet hook in the other and just chain away...Somehow summer doesn't have that effect on me, unless I stay in London, in which case I would probably be knitting and crocheting all year long, for the rest of my life, if you know what I mean. Brrrr....

Anyway, here is a little something I wanted to share with you. It is an easy project and you only need to be familiar with the very basics of crocheting, such as chaining, single crochet, double crochet and of course beginning and ending the work! :)

So I say we get started!

You will need a small ball of yarn, a crochet hook, sewing needle, scissors and a brooch pin.
1. Start your project with the beginning loop, then chain 57.

2. Turn, skip 5 chains. On the wrong side (the bumpier one, not the neat one) work one double crochet into the 6th chain from the hook, chain 2, then work another double crochet into the same chain. *Chain 2 and skip next 2 chains, work a (dc, ch 2, dc)  into next chain* Repeat from * all the way to the end. You should now have 36 spaces.

3. Turn and chain 3. Work 5 dc in next chain 2 space, work 1 single crochet in the next chain 2 space; {6 dc in next ch 2 space, sc in next ch 2 space} repeat 5 times; {9 dc in next ch 2 space, sc in next ch 2 space} repeat 5 times; {12 dc in next ch 2 space, sc in next ch 2 space} all the way to the end. Then finish off, but leave a good length of yarn for sewing the rose together.

4. Roll your work into a flower, starting from the smaller "petals" (the scallops of 6 dc) and when you are done, flip it and try to tie the starting and finishing yarns tightly together. Then start stitching it all together. I do it by stitching sort of a spider web across the back, but you can just simply do whatever works best for you. I like the back to look really neat even if it doesn't show. Therefore, I added the brooch pin onto the back of the rose by almost fully covering it with yarn.

And there you have it, a stunning little piece for a perfect fall outfit! It goes great with everything really, from dresses to cardigans, jackets and shawls. And it is a fun project for any crocheter. If crocheting is not your favorite craft however, don't you worry, just hop over to Le Petit Knit and stock up, I listed this little brooch just for you, to get yourself an inexpensive yet very stylish present. Take a look!


Hope you enjoyed this easy pattern!
Stay warm!
Love,
Erika

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, I am just beginning crochet and it seems I could give it a go. I was talking with someone obsessed with crochet flowers, it will make a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sure, it would make a great present! Just give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cela a l'air beaucoup plus facile dans les explications, que le coeur en spirale vu sur Pinterest
    merci de ce rappel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size hook and yarn did you use? I tried using some baby weight yarn and a 5.5 mm hook that I had on hand, and it came out huge! Really pretty, I attached it to a barrette and wear it in my hair, but what sizes should I use to make a little brooch?

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!