Saturday, January 12, 2013

Natural dyes - yarn - TUTORIAL

I happened to have this bundle of white cotton, and as I wanted to crochet up some sweet little hearts, I decided to form smaller bundles of white yarn and dye each bundle in natural dyes to get pretty pastels.



I used coffee, blackberry tea and home-made blueberry syrup. 
I recommend letting the different dyes to boil when putting the bundles into them, leaving them like that for a few seconds, then pull the pots of dye from the stove and covering them, leave the bundles to rest in the liquids for 20-30 minutes. Adding a spoonful of white vinegar helps the fabric to absorb and keep the color.

Remember, your yarn needs to be 100% natural in order to absorb these natural dyes.



You can then use the yarn to do different projects. I used mine to crochet tiny little hearts, but you could even dye a larger amount and crochet/knit up a cowl or why not, even a cardigan! Totally up to you!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Aw, these turned out so sweet. Will the colors fade if you try and wash the items at any point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always put white vinegar in my natural dye, that way the color resists to cleaning. Obviously, it is better to hand-soak it first to see, but it always works for me! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interstening!! Im totally trying it out and those hearts are so cute!!


    http://theteengirlspot.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely subtle colours, I'll need to try that sometime

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pokeberry berries work really well for a bright/dark purple dye. I love experimenting with natural dyes and hope to do more of this in the future. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always on the lookout for new plants to use! Thank you for the tip :)

      Delete

I ♥ comments!