Friday, February 14, 2014

homemade bread recipe


Bread making will not get easier than this, I am pretty sure (but feel free to prove me wrong).
I have been on the lookout for an easy and delicious bread recipe, not extremely time and energy consuming and all that, you know, looking for the easy and yet still healthy, homemade way out! And I think I may have found it!
***

home-baked bread

Ingredients: 
50 dkg white flour
3 dkg fresh yeast
1ts salt
1 ts olive oil
2,5 dl lukewarm water
seeds (sesame seed, poppy seed, sunflower seed etc)

Utensils:
pyrex oven-safe glass casserole/ cast iron dish (either is fine as long
as it has a lid)

  • Put the water into a small bowl and crumble the fresh yeast carefully into the water, slowly stir, then let it a couple of minutes so that the yeast may start its magic.
  • Sift the flour into a large bowl. Mix in the salt, add the olive oil. Then add the water in which you have previously dissolved the yeast. Mix ingredients to a paste-like consistency.
  • Turn dough out onto floured board and knead until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky. Place dough into a dry bowl and cover it with a thick tea towel. Let it rest until it doubles its volume (about one hour).
  • Place it back onto your board and knead it over again thoroughly adding the seeds, work them well into your dough. Form it into a nice round ball.
  • Line the glass casserole/ iron dish with baking paper, place the dough into it and let it rest for 30 more minutes at room temperature. Wipe the top of your dough with a bit of water (and you could choose to add the seeds on top instead of mixing them into the dough, or do both). Place the lid on top of the dish and place it into a preheated oven (230C - 250C)
  • Bake it for 1 hour. Then take the lid off and bake it for 10 more minutes, so that the top of your bread may get a nice golden or even a more rusty crust. Let your bread cool a bit first by opening the oven-door, turn it out from the dish and let fully cool wrapped in a clean tea-towel.
***

A delicious bread with a beautiful crust. I like to keep things simple when it comes to food, so the simplicity of this recipe, and the fresh, wholesome taste of this bread due to those healthy seeds have quickly captivated my senses.

If you decide to try it out, let me know what you though about it! Recipe suggestions are always welcome so leave me link in the comments bellow, I'd love to see what your favorite bread is :)
Love,
E.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, it smells all the way to here! :) Isn't the end of winter a perfect time for starting to bake your own bread? Yesterday I started "growing" my very first sour dough, wish me luck! If everything goes ok with it, I would very much like to try your recipe next week - just with sour dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that is really great. I have never tried sour dough, but let me know how it goes and I just might. Good luck with that, you might just become my bread hero if you share a success story about it :) Looking forward to hearing it (or perhaps reading it) ;)

      Delete
  2. hehey ♥ I baked my very first bread this week too :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!