Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Lady pie


About two months of survival mode, living on salads and spaghetti alternatively. Variety is key, right?
I don't know, but when I am on a creative wave, something clicks and I just find essential aspects of human existence so useless. When a rush period comes to an end, I fall back on the ground, and I remember how much I enjoy quality food. Fine, well planned, carefully made food. Simplicity. Home-made with just a few ingredients, using bold spices, and ingredients, yet keeping tastes minimal and soothing.

I enjoy crazy serious work times and in other days I find enormous pleasure in jumping around in my kitchen, dancing to silly songs, wearing PJs throughout the day while baking. And what is better than eating cake or pie for breakfast the next morning?

I made this lady crust, in all honestly, because I did not have enough dough to cover the entire pie, but it actually turned out to be quite goofy and nice. Poppy seed and sour cherry filling, I can hardly think of a better combination...


Lady Pie
-poppy seeds & sour cherries-

Ingredients:
for the dough
300 g flour
150 g butter
100 g icing sugar
2 egg yolks 
1 whole egg 

for the filling
400 g ground poppy seeds
70 g ground butter cookies
200 g sugar
1 tbsp honey
10 ml water
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
+
300 g sour cherry jam/conserve
(but you could also use frozen sour cherries mixed together with gelatin, perhaps, for a less sweet version) 

Crumble the butter with the flour and the sugar and mix well, then kneed together with the 2 egg yolks. I love this step. When you have a nice even lump of dough, cover it in clear wrap and place it into the fridge for about half an hour.
If you happen to have an all time favorite pie crust dough, you can always just skip this step and make your trusty recipe. Me, I'm still searching for the perfect recipe for this step.

Line a pie pan with parchment paper and fill it with the dough, taking care to leave some for the lady (or whatever shaped) cutouts. I usually place another layer of parchment paper on top and fill it with either dried chickpeas or beans while pre-baking the crust to prevent it from rising in the middle. Bake for about 15 minutes at 170 C grades.

Until the pie crust is in the oven, mix together poppy seeds, cookies, cinnamon and lemon zest. Heat up water with sugar until the sugar melts, and take it off the stove. After a it has cooled a little you can add the honey as well, stir so it mixes well into the syrup. The reason why honey should not be brought to a boil is that it looses its nutritional qualities. Mix the syrup into the dry ingredients.

When the crust is out of the oven spread the jam out on the bottom, then spread the poppy seed filling on top. Roll out the  leftover dough and cut out whatever you wish, I have found these gingerbread ladies first in my cupboard, and was too lazy to dig for anything else. Goofy girl-power, well, why not. Place your cutouts on top of the pie, whisk one whole egg, and then using a kitchen brush cover them with the egg mixture.

Bake for another 25 minutes at 170 C grades.


Oh joy! Free-time and a good oven are my best friends right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!