Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Spicy lemon cookies


I usually get over excited about recipes I read on the web or in some magazine. Most of the time I only read the title and I adore the photo, but when I head onto making it, I am not entirely satisfied with ingredients and measurements. So I end up entirely revamping it.

This is what happened last night. When I read "Lemon Cookies" in a magazine I had lying around in the kitchen, something clicked in my head. The photo featured a lovely glass of milk next to the platter heaped with scrumptious looking cookies, and I could already envision breakfast for the following morning. The cookie monster in me was awakened!

But then as I had already prepared basic ingredients and I started going through the actual recipe I got more and more disappointed. If anyone, I surely bake by the "less is more" principle, but still, the combination of flour, butter, a scary volume of sugar and the poor addition of one lemon zest will not cut it. The basic idea of preparing cookies at home as opposed to choosing store bought cookies is to invest the time in a product that lacks preservatives, ideally contains less sugar and is made with unsaturated fat, is fresh, features quality ingredients and thoughtfully blended spices and contains that one special ingredient that only the maker can add to it. It is by no means a way to recreate the same unhealthy crap that can be bought in a store, has a ridiculous expiry date somewhere in the distant future and is made of highly questionable ingredients and substitutes.

So I looked at the photo in the magazine again, smiled, and had set it aside. 
So here goes my version. 



Ingredients

140 gr. white flour
50 gr. semolina flour
100 gr. butter
60 gr brown sugar
2 T honey
1 egg
1 lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp powder ginger
pinch of cardamom
50 gr. white chocolate

Mix two types of flour with baking soda, ginger, cardamom and lemon zest.
Cream up sugar and softened butter, add the egg, whisk. Add the honey and blend it in well. Gradually start adding the dry ingredients into the wet blend, mix well with a spoon (I usually just use my hands). Lastly add the finely chopped chocolate to the cookie dough. 
Line a flat cookie pan with parchment paper, form walnut sized balls of the dough, and place them onto the pan, making sure you leave some room for them to flatten out. I can usually fit 9 dough-balls onto my pan comfortably. 
Bake in a preheated oven at 175 C degrees for about 12 minutes. If you do not have a heat controller on your oven, just look for a nice light golden edge.

I was able to make 15 cookies, just so you are able to plan it out, maybe you'll find that you need to make a double batch. 

Make sure you let them cool and rest overnight. Some cookies are best eaten right off of cooling rack, but this one is waaay more delicious if it sets. Enjoy! You will, I am sure of that much!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!