Thursday, March 3, 2016

berry and mango crisp



 I awoke to humming Aretha Franklin in my mind. And I knew in that misty morning moment, that today was going to be one of those days when the air smells a little more sweet, the wind caresses more tenderly than usual and suddenly life's pace changes... 

And in those first morning moments I envisioned crisp for breakfast, delicious, decadent and yet light, as breakfasts should be. I didn't plan for this the day before, so I just used what I had at hand, and boy, did I have all the right ingredients for perfection?!  

berry and mango crisp recipe

1large mango (peeled and diced)
2 cups of raspberries
the juice of half an orange
2 T honey
1 1/2 T tapioca flour
vanilla extract (to taste)

1 cup rolled oats
2 T coconut flour
2 T soy flour
4 T all purpose flour
4 T brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts  (walnuts, almonds or pecan nuts)
1/2 tsp home-ground cinnamon 
1/2 cup butter (cold)

Preheat your oven to about 185 C degrees.
Combine fruit, gently mix in honey, orange juice, tapioca flour and vanilla (without softening the fruit with your spoon). Then in a separate bowl add oats, all of the different flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon. Using your hands crumble in butter and mix with the dry ingredients until little lumps start to form. 
Gently grease an oven proof pan (or pie plate) with butter. Add the fruit mixture, then sprinkle the oat mixture on top of it. Bake until the top becomes golden brown and the fruit is bubbling on the sides of the pan (takes about 40-50 minutes).

Tips:
If you like your fruit to be juicier in the crisp then reduce the tapioca amount. If you don't normally use tapioca flour, you can substitute it with cornstarch. The reason I prefer tapioca is, because it never clogs and it makes the sauce creamier, whereas cornstarch thickens it.
I use very many different types of flour, so I usually have many of them right at hand. But you can just use whole flour, or all purpose flour in this recipe. So basically you need a total of 8 tablespoons of flour, it is up to you to choose the variety. I prefer to mix up wheat or substitute it entirely, whenever it suits the recipe, without compromising texture and quality. 



Why this combination of fruit? Well it was what I had at home, simply. I am looking forward to fresh seasonal fruit, though! Strawberries, cherries, sour cherries...oh sweet mother of fruit tarts, beware!!!
Fruit crisps make for amazing, light desserts served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. But truth be told, I like to eat them for breakfast, topped with a couple of spoonfuls of Greek yogurt. It is like eating fruity granola, but waaay better!

Spring with your endless possibilities, I like you a lot! Happy March, you guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!